Monday, April 28, 2008

Manager

[Read Write Poem suggested we add our everyday jargon to a poem. Here's a glimpse of my workday as a middle-manager in an academic-affiliated Information Technology department. See what other folks did here.]




Manager


Jack of all trades, master of none,
though ofttimes better than master of one.



Meeting after meeting,
I'm scheduled everyday.
I trust my team to work
while I am called away.

Landing on my desk is
licensing for software.
"Concurrent" is one choice.
I read until I swear.

Academic pricing
for some site license fees;
with experience this
practice is still no breeze.

I'm asked about the spam,
and upgrades and malware,
and how to copy files
to servers where they share.

While I am at my desk
I supervise and scan
my e-mail that builds up;
I answer as I can.

As middle-management
I only can suggest
behaviors to the folks
who need to know what's best.

Then I shift my focus
to swapping LCDs
for older tube-type screens:
juice-sucking CRTs.

Raise the user quotas
by megabytes or more.
Spec out Core 2 Duos –
a recommending chore.

Test out each new OS,
and applications too.
Help when color does not
match some expected hue.

Soothe frazzled nerves when things
don't go a user's way;
inspect a laptop's files,
if Leopard is OK.

Replace projector bulbs,
pin on a microphone,
explain wi-fi and then
aid connecting from home.

My focus ever pulled
at every single turn.
Still I do like my job,
for every day I learn.




7 comments:

Maria said...

That is some labor intensive job you have there...

But, if you love it, you love it and you are right where you belong.

sister AE said...

hi, Maria,
The good news is that for about half of these things my team does the work. I know HOW to do most of them, but I don't have to (unless someone is out sick or on vacation or something). But there are definitely a lot of parts to what we do.

kenju said...

Michele sent me, sister AE. Learning something new everyday makes a job worthwhile. I am fortunate to love what I do, and I think you do too, for all your protestations.....LOL

Linda Jacobs said...

Better you than me! No way could I do this job! Love the way you wrote this!

sister AE said...

Hi, kenju. You are right.

Hi, Linda, thanks!

Anonymous said...

And I thought teaching was tough!

:D

ctrl/alt/del

sister AE said...

Hi, Gautami. But it is!