Sunday, February 22, 2009

Finger Paints

[Cafe Writing this month includes a timed-writing prompt in which we are asked to consider this quote:
…should I draw you the picture of my heart it would be what I hope you would still love though it contained nothing new. The early possession you obtained there, and the absolute power you have obtained over it, leaves not the smallest space unoccupied..
~Abigail Adams (in a letter to John Adams)
then use 9 minutes (only!) to write about "a picture of your heart." Here's what I came up with. I tried to stay true to the 9 minutes (going over only to agonize briefly over a working title). I'm interested to see what others came up with. Nine minutes is not very long!]


Finger Paints

I need finger paints
in order to give you
a picture of my heart.

I need the bright simple colors
to stand out and show the
confetti it throws when
you make me smile.

I need to smear the color
on the slippery page
to try to convey the way it
beats faster when we kiss.

I may be complicated
but my heart is simple
enough for finger paints.
My heart loves only you.

I need finger paints
and just my own fingers,
to give you my heart,
perhaps a bit messy,
but sweet just the same.

16 comments:

anthonynorth said...

I supose going with your heart is a bit of an artform in itself.
Great words.

floreta said...

so raw and child-like. this sounds like a fun yet challenging prompt! well done.

Sherri B. said...

The simplicity of it is what makes it so heartfelt and beautiful...beautifully done!

Anonymous said...

This is a lovely poem, and the lines "show the confetti" and "my heart is simple enough for finger paints," work very well as direct and imaginative attributes of your heart..

Linda Jacobs said...

This is such a simple concept but your words make it glow! Really beautiful!

sister AE said...

Thank you, all! You now have me smiling - a nice thing for Monday afternoon. I'll be around to visit your sites soon.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes an oil painting is required, but luckily most find the finger painting adequate.

Tumblewords: said...

You've created a fine painting here! Open, warm and welcoming!

Anonymous said...

The finger paints do it for me... I like the way you thread them right through this piece.

The NaisaiKu.. Challenge!

Julia Phillips Smith said...

This is just wonderful:

'I may be complicated
but my heart is simple
enough for finger paints.'

floreta said...

back again to say that i was so inspired by your poem that i decided to do this prompt also!

i really liked your interpretation of the prompt. it also could be read like a "love letter", very fitting to the theme.

Sleepypete said...

Wow ! Your lucky lady is a very fortunate person indeed to have a heart like your's in her life :-)

The Finger Paints caught my eye when I first saw it here but the way I tend to ramble, I don't reckon I could frame paragraphs, let alone construct a poem inside 9 minutes !

Think I need more practice :-)

Anonymous said...

fingerpaints, cannot help but to smile... with childlike abandon...

sister AE said...

Thanks, Stan and Sue.

Thanks, Andy, and one of these days I'll try a NaisaiKu.

Hi, Julia, thanks.

Welcome back, floreta. I'll have to stop by and see what you came up with.

Sleepypete. Thanks. And a lot of the time-restricted things have seemed intimidating. I think most of us can use more practice with them. My crystal ball sees a lot of unfinished work in my future!

Thanks, omb.

Anonymous said...

this one has made me smile. it's so beautiful. okay. im a fan now! :D

sister AE said...

thanks, littlekhargosh