Sunday, May 16, 2010

Oatmeal Pecan Waffles

I no longer remember where I got the core of this recipe, but I have tinkered with it myself so much that it is now all mine. Not only is this perfect for this week's Sunday Scribblings prompt (recipe) but is also something I wanted to send to Molly at Orangette. And I have to say it is making me hungry just thinking about this.




Oatmeal Pecan Waffles

3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup pecans or walnuts
1 cup unbleached white flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 large eggs
2/3 cup non-fat plain yogurt
4 T vegetable oil
2 T honey
1 cup skim milk


1 - Chop the oats in a food processor until they are a fine powder. Put oats in a large mixing bowl.
2 - Roughly chop the nuts and add to oats.
3 - To the oat mixture add the flours, baking powder and salt and mix with a whisk to combine well.
4 - In a small bowl, lightly beat two eggs, then add yogurt, oil, honey, and milk. Mix well.
5 - Add liquid mixture to dry mixture, stirring just until combined (too much will make them tough).
6 - Cook in waffle iron, and serve with real maple syrup.


Some notes:
+ My dad taught me to measure oil first, then honey, because the honey will just slip out of a spoon (or cup) that was first coated with oil.
+ I use nonfat yogurt and skim milk because that's what I have around. If the dairy has some fat, you can reduce the oil a little.
+ I cook some of the waffles a little on the "light" side and then freeze them. Then when I want waffles, I put them directly into the toaster (or toaster oven) to thaw and crisp up without overcooking.




6 comments:

Tammy Brierly said...

Healthy and yummy. ;)

Denise Moncrief said...

My family loves waffles. This recipe sounds delicious. I'll be trying it soon, maybe next weekend. Thanks for sharing.

Tumblewords: said...

Oh, this sounds wonderful. I've never frozen waffles but I eat the store-bought type occasionally. Good post!

Unknown said...

A real recipe! Yay! Sounds delicious!

Understanding Alice said...

now i wish i had a waffle maker...

Dee Martin said...

I haven't posted an actual recipe yet but I plan to. This looks delicious - maybe the Sunday Scribblers should create their own cookbook! :)