Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Still Cloudy

It's been gray and cloudy and rainy here for so many days on end that I feel like I'm growing mold in my mind. That influenced where I went with the abecedarian poem I wrote for Tricia's Monday Poetry Stretch at The Miss Rumphius Effect. With so much water in the air around me, I had to put a bit of ebb and flow into the alphabetic effect.




Still Cloudy

Charcoal clouds crowd the sky,
covering blue and carrying drizzle.
Dull days drag on,
an endless effort to endure,
each day echoing every other.
Flat light makes for faint faith
that flooding will ease and
evaporate. Encircled by erosion,
an evil essence drenches the ego,
'til duty droops in dreary drudgery.
Can't the confounding cumulonimbi
cruise away? I crave contrails
curving across clear cerulean.




5 comments:

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Very clever how you circled around and came back. I am sick of the rain too. My favorite line: "Flat light makes for faint faith" Too true!

sister AE said...

Thanks, Andromeda. I'm delighted to say there is sunshine outside right now! Finally!

Mary Lee said...

WOW! I love your take on the abecedarian form -- just using those few letters and playing them like a scale down and back again.

Glad the sun is out! Your poem worked like a charm!

sister AE said...

Thank you, Mary Lee. I like your description of it as a scale. That fits.

laurasalas said...

Beautiful, Annie. I feel that graceful ebb and flow and love it. My favorite is the end:

I crave contrails
curving across clear cerulean.