Friday, June 05, 2009

Unexpected Guest

I haven't been writing, but now that my spring concerts are over, I should gain a bit of time to myself again. I also have some vacation days to sneak in before the end of the month, so here's hoping the muse will work with my limited time.

Totally Optional Prompts this week was "Unexpected Visitors" and that fit in nicely with my first foray into the world of Facebook.



Unexpected Guest

I'm sitting pretty in my p.j.'s,
comfy on my couch,
watching the world from the window
of my little laptop.

Then another singer sells me
on the plan of a page
for our chorus fans to adore us,
a focus on Facebook,
another window to the world.

So I sign up,
join forces on Facebook,
post some particulars,
sweep open the shutters,
cast open the curtains
of my world window,
and I wait.

Just two-days time
passes by and Pop!
a blast from the past casts a query,
"be my friend," she extends
a once-familiar wave wandering
toward my open window.

I cringe and cram coverlets in the way,
heaving heaps of unknowing
into the chasm of change
built in separate states,
wincing away from the wide-open window.

I click ("don't be sick!"), and
tick, tick, tick, the time
rolls back, and I'm smack
dab in the long-ago days,
with a faded photo from
there and I recognize the "then"
in us both, our backstories bridge
the welcoming at the window.

I greet my guest with a grin.




2 comments:

gautami tripathy said...

Good to see you posting again. I liked your musings about your foray into Facebook!

I too am on facebook!

strings cross with wires

sister AE said...

Thanks, Gautami. I had fun playing with alliteration and some internal rhymes.