Monday, February 04, 2008

A New Parka

[Read Write Poem's prompt for us to use clothing to spark our poems sent my thoughts and fingers flying. This is one result.]



A New Parka


I haven't skied in two years,
but that doesn't keep me
from wanting a new parka.

I want to replace the boxy,
red jacket, with the black
trim - the only extra-large
sized one that fit, back
when I was skiing more.

The one that works just fine,
but there is a faint
dark stain on one side,
that I notice every time I wear it,
even though no one else does.

I want a purple jacket, feminine
but not girly. I want it to have
pit zips to keep me cool
as I fly down the hill in style.

I want to walk into a store and try
on dozens of jackets in my size,
discarding those I don't like on
the merits of color and zipper pull shapes.

Instead, I dread
trying on racks of black jackets
in sizes a little too small, or else
in men's sizes that swim in the
wrong places.

But I'm keeping my eyes open
for a purple jacket, feminine
but not girly.


13 comments:

Crafty Green Poet said...

I was in the shops with you there, i like feminine but not girly...

sister AE said...

Hi, Juliet. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I like the purple jacket. I need one like that!

UL said...

purple is not my color, but wouldnt mind a black or red...but classy not girly.

Anonymous said...

You're brave to ski! It's nice to indulge ourselves once in a while- go ahead and splurge!

sister AE said...

Hi, Gautami and UL.

Thanks, Christine. If I could find one that fits, I'd do it! They just don't make fun stuff for folks over a certain size.

Linda Jacobs said...

I own that red and black one and wear it every day, dreaming of purple, too!

Love, love, this poem!

sister AE said...

hee-hee, thanks, Linda.

Andy Sewina said...

Very sensible!

Rob Kistner said...

That was excellent. Very genuine... and I hope you find your purple pleasure. ;)

sister AE said...

Hi, Andy, and thanks.

Thanks, Rob, me too!

Deb said...

You and I could go shopping together, happily. :-)

sister AE said...

Thanks, ...deb. I'd love it.