Friday, October 12, 2007

Summer's Elegy


[photo from stshores24 at flickr]



Summer's Elegy

Drizzly autumn rain gives a nod
and windshield wipers start a slow
intermittent rhythm:
wipe - wipe - rest, rest, rest, rest

The annual requiem,
a dirge punctuated
by loud pings as
falling acorns bounce off
the roof of the car.

The sky wears funereal darkness,
cold and somber in gray,
and drought-weary maple leaves
have faded to damp, dull brown.

Gone are beach days
and wearing sandals and sundresses
time has come to pack away gauze and linen,
don scarves and gloves,
and await the bright, crisp snap of winter.

6 comments:

Anne said...

Hi, Michele sent me. You're lucky to have rain, we've been dry for months, Our leaves are falling, but they are brown and crunchy. Nice Poem.

sister AE said...

Thanks, Anne. We have a little rain, so now my front yard is brown, crunchy, and WET. I don't think it is much of an improvement.

Thumper said...

Nice imagery. "The sky wear funeral darknsess..." That's pretty much how it was here today; nice for one day, but I'd like sunshine tomorrow.

Here via Michele's!

sister AE said...

Thanks, Thumper. Fall isn't my favorite season and the drizzly grey just makes me pout. I, too, am looking forward to the sun coming out.

Begered said...

I like your poem...that's what it felt like here today. But, I am kind of hoping it will stick around for a little more. Nice picture too!

sister AE said...

Thanks, Begered, and welcome.